NEWS AND ISSUES
WILDFIRE ENTRAPMENT HOODS/By Scott Deller 18th June 2003
In accordance with the Service Standard 2.4 emergency entrapment hoods will be issued to each active firefighter in the shire. These hoods will be issued in the next couple of weeks and require each member to sign for it upon receipt.
Service Standard 2.10 Bush/Grass Firefighting Emergency Entrapment Hood
(a) This item is to be carried (in the pocket of their PPE) by operational firefighters on the fireground. It MUST NOT be donned (or worn around the neck) unless it is required to improve thermal protection to the face as a result of bush/grass fire entrapment of a firefighter.
(b) It MUST NOT be worn (or worn around the neck) during "normal" firefighting operations due to the effects of extreme heat stress which may develop.
(c) The service issue Offensive Structural Firefighting Hood can be used for this purpose.
Climate summary for Sydney,
May 2003 and Autumn 2003/BOM
'I never got a chance to say thankyou'/Daily
3rd June 2003
AS a grief-stricken Adam Waddell struggled to cope yesterday
with the death of his two young sons, he also learnt the man who battled to save
his family had died.
Police yesterday confirmed Adam Jr, 11, and Ethan, 8, died after
being pulled from the family's Liverpool home after it caught fire at 3.30am
Neighbour Angelo Koroneos, who smashed a window to get into the house and save 19-month-old Erika Waddell from a bed where she lay surrounded by fire, also died as a result.
A distraught Mr Waddell said he regretted not getting the chance to thank Mr Koroneos.
"I've been spending all my time with my own children, so I didn't even know who the hero was," Mr Waddell said.
"I knew Angelo, we would say hello and our kids went to school with his daughter.
"He has paid the ultimate price for helping somebody in need and I'd like to thank his wife and his family for everything they've done. But up until yesterday I didn't even know it was him and I never had a chance to thank him."
Mr Koroneos, 44, died on Friday. His wife found him collapsed at 2.30am in their home.
Late last week Mr Waddell made the decision to turn off the machines keeping Adam and Ethan alive, following doctors' advice.
He hoped to keep their deaths a secret until their mother Tracey, who remains in intensive care under sedation in Liverpool Hospital, revives. Ethan, who was at the Sydney Children's Hospital at Randwick, was moved to join Adam Jr in a room at Westmead Children's Hospital.
Both machines were turned off simultaneously.
"I thought it would be a good gesture to let them go together, so they were placed in a ward where they could look after each other," Mr Waddell said.
"They were great young boys who loved their footy and helped each other.
"They helped their mother a lot with the babies as well. They were just good boys and just like I imagine all parents would want their children to be."
The family of Mr Koroneos spoke of the man they saw as a hero.
Nick Koroneos said everyone in the family looked up to his older brother.
"He helped in any way he could and never asked for anything in return, that's just the kind of person he was," Mr Koroneos said. "He didn't talk too much about the fire, I know he was shaken up about it, but he didn't think he did anything out of the ordinary.
"He went to work as he did every day just after it."
Mr Koroneos had a daughter, Jenni-Leigh, 10.
Cheyenne Waddell, 5, was released from hospital into the care of her aunt yesterday while twins Gerel and Erika have been moved from intensive care to normal wards.